Today the Lord used a very slow day at work to get my attention. I started reading a book a friend bought me a few years ago, and there was so much good stuff that I needed to hear. I woke up sort of in a funk this morning, and I went to work feeling kind of somber. Do you ever have one of those days where the Lord uses seemingly everything to get your attention so you focus on Him? The Lord used a devotional I get emailed me to weekly, an email sent to me by my best friend, some searching on
Biblegateway for some verses in the Psalms, excerpts from the book mentioned above, and an incredible song by Casting Crowns called "Your Love Is Extravagant" to remind me of the riches and unconditional extension of His grace. It was a much needed lesson and reminded me I can't self-help myself into being a better person. When I run dry, it is only the Lord who can replenish me. And when I fail, it isn't because I'm not smart enough, good enough, faithful enough.... it's because I can only do anything by the Lord's strength. It's such an important reminder that I need pretty often, in fact, because I tend to go into self-help mode. This isn't out of pride, thinking I can do anything and don't need help. On the contrary - this tends to be out of my belief that the Lord is upset, frustrated, or loves me conditionally. Praise Him none of that is true! The enemy often builds a dam without me realizing it, and he tries to block all God's goodness on one side as I sit on the other, drying up and turning dusty. The Lord used today to put a big ol' crack in that dam so He goodness could rush through! I forget God's goodness so often and base His ability to show me unconditional love on me. God doesn't love me unconditionally because of me; He loves me unconditionally because of Him. It's a lesson I need often, but the Lord is good and knows how He created me. He knows I tend to forget that His grace is sufficient and authentic, always from the outpouring of the character of the One who offers it. He also knows I tend to base His love and forgiveness on me instead of remembering it's based on Him.
Please feel free to remind me of that anytime you see me. :)
"At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life. This is a trustworthy saying." Titus 3:3-8a
2 comments:
What a good reminder!!!
Truer words were never spoken..Love you
Post a Comment