Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hot - and cloudy? - water

The hot water coming from the faucet in my kitchen has been acting up lately. It only seems to happen with the hot water, not the cold. I'm not sure why this is. When I run the tap, the water emerges slightly cloudy. I'm not sure what's going on with it, but when I hold it up to the light, I can't see through it. After a few seconds, the cloudiness rises to the surface of the water and vanishes, and I can see through my cup once again. This problem has come and gone lately; hopefully it's safe for drinking!

Tonight, as I was thinking about this problem, it made me think about God, and trials, and trying to see Him clearly through them. Sometimes, I find myself in hot water. And sometimes, being in the hot water is made even worse because I can't see farther than an inch in front of my face. It's hot and no matter which direction I look, I can't see a thing. I can't figure out why I'm there, or how it happened, or how to escape it. The more I strain my eyes to look for an escape route, the more disoriented I get. As hard as it is, when I wait a moment and look expectantly toward the surface, I can see the cloudiness begin to dissipate, and suddenly everything is clear again. I don't lose my way, I don't stay stuck, and I'm not paralyzed by my lack of sight. I'm working on trying to wait expectantly for Truth and not get distracted by the temperature of my life or the cloudiness of it. Instead, I'm working to keep my eyes fixed in an upward direction, knowing that, eventually, I'll see clearly again because of the direction of my gaze.

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

Good words, so encouraging! Thank you Jenny. And about your water, it might be air in the pipes. Just my best guess. :)

Ruthie

Jaimi said...

Amen! Those are great thoughts to remember.

Mom said...

I wish I had "a way with words" like you do. You amaze me with your thoughts. You have a wonderful God given talent of expressing your thoughts. Love you