Sunday, September 18, 2011

Not Enough Time in the Day

Life is busy. I'm sure you can all relate. Now that I'm working 15 hours a week, on top of my 40-hour-a-week job, time for blogging has been more and more scarce. I still read the blogs of friends I love and long for time to share more, but it's hard to make that happen! I recognize that my own wordiness might complicate this; I tend to struggle to say something concisely - something I'm sure my clients can attest to - and I don't like to say something halfway. So, I'm still here, and I still want to make time to write... it just might come at greater intervals than I'd like.

Here's a bullet list of what I've been up to since August 22, 2011 - my last post:

* My roof is now fixed. The insurance saga is not yet fully resolved, but there has been some movement recently, and I hope to be able to finally get the siding done in the next month or so.

* The weather has changed, and I'm enjoying it. Seeing my leaves fall on the white birch tree in my front yard is nice because it is a sign that my favorite season is upon us. Sadly, I'll have to do something with those leaves at some point... but that day is not today! :)

* I turned down the chance to go to a Buckeyes game for free. That should signify how detached I am from their recent scandals since I'm an avid fan of the football program.

* I have joined a Bible study with the female RDs (resident directors) and the wives of the male RDs on campus. This has been a great blessing to me; I love the time for fellowship and to feel "known" by women here. Most of my relationships are with people who live at least a few hours away, and my two closest friends here both live about 45 minutes away. It's nice to have a chance to connect with people on a weekly basis, and I love having a place to tend to my own heart and mind since I do a lot of tending-to for others during the week. It's also a blessing that this Bible study was already scheduled to meet on a night during the week where I had only one commitment in place (and one that was changed pretty easily). They meet from 9-10:30 PM, but that's another plus as a night person. :) God has been good to lead me to this group of women who are encouraging, Truth-speaking, grace-giving, and laughter-loving.

* The only day of the week where I don't have something scheduled is Saturdays. That will be a challenge in not getting overwhelmed with life, but I hope the Lord equips me to take it one day at a time.

* I have two trips coming up: a four-day trip to Nashville for the AACC (American Association of Christian Counselors) conference in about 10 days, and a four-day trip to Disney with my sister, Hannah, and my cousin Karen. I'm looking forward to both but for very different reasons! They'll also give me some interesting things to blog about, I'm sure.

* I'm trying to get to bed by 11:00 consistently so I can get good rest. Tonight, that won't be happening, but I wanted to get a post done.

* I gave Oliver a bath for the first time in at least a year or two. He does get bathed regularly - but by the groomer. It's not the most fun thing in the world to bathe a dog who has human-like hair that needs blown dry if I want it to be free of tangles and not take hours to dry. The plus side: he's SOOOOOO soft and fluffy right now, making for lots of wonderful cuddles. :)

* My mom came for a visit this weekend. It was nice to have some one-on-one time with just her. I can't say often or well enough how wonderful my mother is.

* My church's medical care ministry is coming along nicely. I am looking forward to getting involved in some way soon (and curious about how I'll handle the challenge of adding something else to my life).

* I am reading a terrific book right now, called "So Long, Insecurity" by Beth Moore. This may be one of the best books I've read in a while. It's a Christian living book, but as someone with lots of insecurities, I find it a great resource. We're reading it for our Bible study, and I'm getting so much out of it just three chapters in.

* I forgot I had a cinnamon pumpkin candle in my closet until recently. I pulled it out and have enjoyed the scent immensely!

* My mom and I surprised my "nieces and nephew" - Grace, Jack, and Addison - by watching Grace and Jack play soccer this weekend. It was Grace's 7th birthday, our first time watching a soccer game, and a great surprise. The weather made it a great introduction to fall soccer!

* I am SO ready for my female coworkers to return to work. Laura comes back in about 3 weeks from maternity leave, and we are hiring another counselor that I am VERY excited about in the next week or so. It's been offered to her; we're just waiting on the paperwork to be finalized. It will be nice to have help in managing the waiting list of students who want counseling, but it will be another of God's great blessings to work with two gifted counselors and treasured friends. :)

Okay, I need to head to bed. I work night #3 in a row tomorrow night (Monday), so it will be a long day ahead. I hope to post more again soon, but, as I used to tease my mom as a child, I'm not sure whose definition of "soon" I'll be operating from!

3 comments:

Jaimi said...

It's fun to see a new post! I hope you can enjoy the little time you do have to yourself and I am also excited for you to enjoy the Bible study and all the other upcoming fun things you mentioned!

Mom said...

I knew some day you would say "soon" and some one would ask "your soon or my soon"! Have missed your blogs and I really did "miss" this one since I am just now reading it. have a great day! I lvoe you BIG much!

Jill said...

Right now I don't mind your not having frequent posts because it gives me an opportunity, when I check your blog, to do some back-reading and catch up prior to me entering the blog world:)