I'd LOVE it if you'd play along. When you read one of my "Quote of the Monday"s, please post a comment about what that quotes means to you, how it challenges you, and how it might apply to your life on that day or in your current season.
Here's the first one:
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Carl Bard
I found this quote while doing an online search for height/weight recommendations. (I have a lot of clients with eating disorders on my caseload right now.) It's no surprise that it would relate to weight loss, but I think our culture focuses way, WAY too much on that, so I don't want to engage this quote with that issue in mind.
So, this quote speaks to me because it reminds me how easily I call a day a total loss based on one failure. For instance, I struggle to have daily quiet times. I go more months without them then I go having them. I have it set in my mind that I should have them in the morning, so when I wake up late and don't have a quiet time, the whole day is a wash. My brain makes a snap judgment and gives up on the plan in mere seconds. "Well, I ruined that one."
Even if the day has been horrible, and I've made more intentional choices that steered me away from God than I did those that steered me toward Him, I don't have to let the whole day end that way. I can make a brand new ending by surrendering to Him. We can't undo what's already happened, but we CAN stop what has happened from dictating what will be. Though this has all sorts of spiritual, relational, and emotional implications for me, the spiritual one comes most quickly to mind.
So, now it's your turn. What does this quote mean to you? Does it apply to you in any way?
3 comments:
This quote reminds me that God is never done with me. He never gives up, he never gets tired of me and never thinks I'm "too much". He always allows me to start new and fresh each day. What a wonderful gift.
Wow, I think this quote could apply to so many situations! I think of the verse, "He who began a good work in me is faithful to complete it..." [not sure if that is word for word accurate...]. I've been trying to adopt this attitude in mothering. Some days are not my best, other days I do well with all three kids, my husband and my own needs. I can't give up and despair on the less than stellar days. Thank goodness for God's grace!
I tend to rehash things over and over. I know I should move on, but I don't. I repeat the incident over and over to whoever will listen and then finally it hits me...It wasn't so bad that it had to ruin my whole day.
Post a Comment