Monday, February 13, 2012

Practice Produces Pots!

I thought I'd show some proof of my work thus far in the pottery class. It's not fabulous, by any means, but I'm making progress slowly.

During week one, I made these two pots. For the first one, do you see this as a future coin collector?

How about a candy dish?


In week two, I cranked out a happy accident in this little pot. The rim cracked because I had overworked the clay, but my classmates, instructor and I all agreed it was cute nonetheless!


This pot wasn't supposed to be what I'm calling a gravy dish. It bowled out, so April said I should call it a pitcher. This week, she showed me how to hand roll out the handle. It's wobbly and not so pretty, but I like the handle!

I went back on a Thursday night to get some practice, but I didn't take pictures of those. Both were bowls, and one actually looked good. I used some old clay, so I hope they turn out. They might crack when they get fired.

This last week, we worked on plates. That was pretty fun! I only remembered to take a picture of this one. The other is smaller. 

I hope to also make a mug, a vase, and a pitcher before the end of the class. Those are hard! I have to pull without warping the sides of the pot, which is haaaaaaaaaaard work! But I shall persevere! As they get fired and then I glaze them, they'll look even better, I think. :)

2 comments:

Jill said...

The plate looks cool! And I agree, cute bowl with character cracked edges. So fun to see pix of your progress (art and character progress:))

Mom said...

I think all of your items are awesome! I really do like the "gravy pitcher"> You should be very proud of your work! Can't wait to see the "finished" product!