Saturday, January 28, 2012

Perfectionist Meets Pottery

I think the title of those post says it all. :)

Today was my first pottery class. There are eight of us - two men and six women - and our instructor, April, is wonderful! She is funny and affirming. She modeled the process for us and made a fabulous little vase that I'd be delighted to make on my own, all while telling us she can't work the wheel and talk at the same time because the pots like that one come out "awful." Literally every creation (most of them ones that wouldn't make anyone much money) received a response like, "Well, that's a cute little pot! A wise potter knows when to stop. I'd say you're done!" She told us, "I don't have a lot of rules. If something works for you, I say do it!" Ahhhh - music to these (recovering legalistic) ears! That's just the kind of nugget I hope to absorb through this experience. No matter if the lid was lopsided, or if we were on attempt #3 to sculpt something decent, or if the potter wasn't using the wheel correctly, or if he or she needed April's help for the 12th time, she was consistently patient and positive. She pointed out mistakes without expressing annoyance with us. I feel so thankful for her! The other members of the class are also very encouraging to each other, and I'm making an effort not to compare myself to those who are better at this than me. I'm already thinking about taking the class again the next time around. We get four free passes to the studio to use at some point during the class; this allows us to come in and work with the clay on our own for free.

I see a lot of work on centering my clay and then pulling in the future! If you care to know what pulling is, search for YouTube videos on pulling. Basically, centering is the most important step. The clay has to be at the center of the wheel in order for it not to fall apart later on in the process. This is most basic, yet most unglamorous, part of the process. When I am done and have produced some good pots, I doubt most people will say, "Wow, Jen, good job! I can tell that was really well-centered!" However, I likely won't have any good pots to show people until I learn this skill, just to help you understand how important it is. Pulling, on the other hand, is the exciting part, the part where the clay is ready to be shaped into a vase or bowl or plate or pitcher or cup. It's the part we are likely to focus on when we think about making pottery. It also takes  lot of work, but it's the part of the process where people notice that the work has paid off. Both of these steps are MUCH harder than it looks! :)

For the record, I can see many blog posts about these concepts as they pertain to spiritual formation in the future. ;)

As I expected I would, I felt a little high maintenance, and sometimes I wondered if I was annoying other people with my little attempts at humor, sighs of self-frustration, or my self-aware remarks ("Don't mind me... I'm a verbal processor" or "I appreciate your affirmation!"). I reminded myself that this is for me. I didn't monopolize the class, and people were friendly and chatty with me, so I imagine I'm fitting in  just fine. Even if I'm not, though, that's not the point. I'm not there to be the life of the pottery party, and I'm definitely not there to not be myself! So, I'll groan when I mess up, and I'll ask lots of questions, and I'll try to get to know people and ask them what they do or where they're from, and I'll keep verbalizing truth to myself: "This is a good cure for my perfectionism." "It's okay that I'm not getting this yet." "Have some humor about that mistake and try again." "Don't over-think it. Just do it." "There's no wrong way to do this."

Oh, and if I'm better able to remember this Truth, all the better: "Yet You, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter; we are all the work of your hand" (Isaiah 64:8). If this experience helps me better appreciate how difficult it can be to mold me into something soft when I behave like rigid clay, all the better. If it reminds me to be soft and pliable, willing to take on a different form, all the better. If it encourages me to be centered so I'm easier to work with, all the better. And if this impresses upon me the devotion and patience with with my Potter works with me... again, I say, all the better!

I really, really, really enjoyed the class! I am so excited we have 8 more classes, and the time didn't go by too quickly, for which I was glad. I think I'll even be willing to wake up on Saturday morning without too much complaint. I had a great time. It also freeing to be out; I went to the library afterward and then to Barnes and Noble to spend some Christmas money I've been saving. I even got Chick-fil-A for lunch. It was a good day. Add to all of this the luxury of a sun-shiny day with a blue sky, and I'm feeling very blessed.

The tools of the trade - sponge, wire, sculpting needle, scraper, etc. These are called Kemper tools. My instructor's list of the steps involved in making a pot are very handy for helping us to focus on where we are in the process at any given time.
In spite of wearing a lot of the clay, I did manage to pull two pots today! I foresee a trip to Walmart to purchase pottery clothes in my near future!

4 comments:

Jaimi said...

Yea!!! I'm so glad you like your class. I wore the same "clay clothes" every class and at the end of the semester they could almost stand up on their own! Literally!
I am excited that you are excited and can't wait to see your art:)
love you!

Mom said...

It sounds like you enjoy the class. I am excited for you. I remember when i got into ceramics. It was fun to watch something I made turn into something i was proud of. Have fun! Love you

Laura Gallagher said...

Your class sounds like fun! I appreciated what you said about it being harder than it looks because I had pottery for a short time in an art class in high school, and all of the things you talked about doing were very challenging!! I didn't have enough time to practice to improve. It will be cool to see what you make & and all the things God shows you through it!

Jill said...

Loved the analogies...excited to hear more!