Monday, September 24, 2007

Why do we suffer?

Tonight we had a discussion at Bible study about suffering. One of the ladies was sharing how her emotional response to an extended season of suffering has left her feeling things about God she doesn't want to feel. So we had a deep and emotional conversation about suffering.

My opinion of suffering is that it always, absolutely, has a purpose. And before you think I'm one of those people who has had the "perfect life", that ain't the case! God allows suffering so that we can have a greater desire for Him and be reminded of why this world is NOT our home. Without suffering, it's less likely that we would want heaven, let alone see a need for it. Suffering keeps us dependent on God and it gives us opportunities to glorify Him.

This email, sent to me by Karen, also gives us a good perspective:

Malachi 3:3 says: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver."

This verse puzzled some women in a Bible study and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God.

One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study.

That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining Silver.

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities.

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot; then she thought again about the verse that says: "He sits as a refiner and purifier of silver." She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there.

The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed.

The woman was silent for a moment. Then she asked the silversmith, "How do you know when the silver is fully refined?"

He smiled at her and answered, "Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it."

If today you are feeling the heat of the fire, remember that God has his eye on you and will keep watching you until He sees His image in you.

I think this gives us a Biblical perspective on why we suffer (to burn off the impurities of sin that keep us acting like sinful humans instead of our holy Savior), where God is in location to our suffering (He's right there, keeping an eye on us, making sure we aren't destroyed but also making sure He burns out every last bit of the impurity), and the point of it in the first place (to be more like Christ). Wow. I got chills when I read this. Thanks, Karen.

In other news, my sister is back from Scotland. She said she's not interested in being a world traveler without her little sister. Awwww! :) Doesn't she have great taste?

We're on the look-out for a new-and-improved vacuum. I hope we get one soon. Ours is just not cutting it anymore, and with a dog, two cats, and a baby, we need us a good sweeper!

I guess that's it for now. I hope everyone keeps seeking those enlightened eyes.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Glad you liked it... and how cool about the timing!

As for vacuum cleaners, we have a Dyson Animal and love it. It's a little pricy, but we've had it for 4 years with no problems. Plus, it is bagless, so there is no extra cost involved in replacing the bags every so often. If I had the extra $$ right now, I'd get a Dyson Slim, which is a more lightweight version. It would be great for stairs, or to carry up the stairs. (I hate carting the vacuum upstairs; must be why the bedrooms don't get done until they are *nasty*! LOL)

Dan, Julie, Mya and Sara said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. I think you are absolutely right about the purpose of suffering here on earth. James 1:1 says it all. "Consider it pure joy my brothers when you face trials of many kinds....."