Today's message during chapel was a good one. Dr. Bill Brown, the university president, speaks on Monday, so that's when we, as a department, try to head over to enjoy chapel. During part of his speech, he talked about doing what we were made to do, which is, of course, to follow God. He told us about a man, Dr. Jeff Myers, who came to speak to us during Faculty/Staff orientation. Dr. Myers said he got to visit Alaska and, during the trip, ride with an Iditarod racer. He talked about the fact that Siberian Huskies love to be harnessed and leading the sled, and in fact are often disappointed when it's not their turn to go on the trek. That's how they were made! During the ride, the Iditarod racer didn't yell or scream or crack a whip; instead, he would direct the dogs almost in a whisper - "mpshee" or "huah". Dr. Myers was impressed by that, and when they stopped, he commented to the racer, "That's amazing to me. I have a dog; I have to yell at him. I have to hit him on the head to get his attention."
The racer said to him, "When you are doing what you were made to do, the Master only needs to whisper."
Wow. What a cool reminder.
Dr. Brown went on to say that there were people in the room under the sound of his voice to whom God is screaming at because we aren't doing what we were made to do. It was a powerful lesson, and it struck a cord with me. I know there are things I'm not doing that I was made to do - namely to glorify God and be most satisfied in Him. I pray that I can keep this truth fresh on my heart and mind this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment