Monday, February 1, 2010

A Seatbelt Study in Obedience

Now before you go getting on me about this one (Mom), hear me out. You might remember that on October 10 of 2009, I became a homeowner. I now live a whopping, astounding, strenuous one mile from work. ;) Each day, I ponder if I need to wear a seatbelt to work. In my head I remember the statistic from driver's ed that most traffic accidents happen within 5 miles of home. I continue to wear my seatbelt for longer drives, but I gotta admit... this is one drive that sometimes makes a seatbelt seem unnecessary.

But more than that, I wonder about my obligation as a believer to follow the law. This may seem like a pretty minor point, but I tell you the truth when I say that, for the last week at least, I have thought about this every day when I get in the car to leave work (not sure why I haven't thought about this when I get in the car in the morning...). Matthew 22:21 says, "...Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." Lots of Christians (me included) use this as evidence of our direction from God to follow the laws of the land. Now, we can get into an argument about what to do when the law of the land is in direct opposition to the law of the Lord, but that's a discussion better saved for a time when I have a chance to blog more about it.

Suffice it to say that this has been an interesting experience for me. Every day, I get in the car. Every day, I think to myself, "It's one mile, 3 minutes, at 35 miles per hour (give or take). Does it really matter?" Some days, I even start out my drive without the seatbelt securely fastened in place, thinking it really DOESN'T matter. But, without fail, I feel convicted to put it on, and I do, all the while wondering if I'm stretching my faith a bit to think that my seatbelt behavior matters to God.

But I think it does. I think it's more than just about my seatbelt, and I think it's about more than just my safety (though I'm sure my mom would be satisfied if that's all it was about, and I love her for it :)). It's also about honoring God, and I honor God when I honor the authority He has allowed (or caused) to put into place above me. It's about letting the Lord convict and change in me the things He wants to convict and change.

We (well, let me speak for myself.... I) often expect the Lord to undertake big projects in my heart. Change my judgmental spirit. Kill the roots of pride and legalism that have spread throughout my life. Instead, at least lately and at least for that one mile and those 3 minutes every day, He's been choosing to work on me wearing my seatbelt. I have a mental list that, written down, would probably literally about a page long, all things that, to my mind, are much more offensive and contrary to what He would want or will for me than this issue. I would not be surprised at Him endeavoring to change those things in me; in fact, I often look around and wait for Him to show up to get some major spiritual renovations done.

But I'm reminded of a lesson I read in a study called Experiencing God a few years ago: "Find where God is working, and join Him there." I'm not sure why He's working in this area, but I appreciate the chance to learn, and I'm trying to join Him there by not just waiting to see if I feel okay not wearing my seatbelt but by just buckling in. I also appreciate that His dealings with me on this issue are not with an attitude of disappointment in my laziness, anger at my choice to break the law, or dismissal of me for not inherently doing the right thing. (He's teaching me much about His goodness lately - have you noticed in my posts?) Instead, I just get a sense that it matters that I do this, not so I avoid a ticket or so that I don't get killed in an accident (I appreciate His care about that one ;)), but so that I can honor God by understanding how far He wants my obedience to Him to go.

Are you surprised by any of the lessons God is teaching you lately?

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

I can relate to this one! Not necessarily wearing a seatbelt, but more in regards to speeding - it's more than breaking a law to me, it's breaking GOD's Law! I think it all comes down to being a heart issue - God knows our hearts and cares about our hearts!! Thanks for sharing!

Jaimi said...

Those are great insights. I will think of that next time I am tempted to speed, or slide through a stop sign (when no one else is around).

Mom said...

I have had a lesson from God. It actually dates back to Sept. I heard a rumor at school about a male teacher and a female staff member "messing around." I couldn't resist, so I told another person. A few days later, it was actually the day before my surgery, the teacher came to see me. He told me the conversation with him was not going to be a pleasant one. I had no idea what he was talking about. He said he was told that I was telling people about the rumor. I was so embarrassed. I admitted to him that I had told others. He asked who told me. I revealed the name, not knowing if I should. He said he was not the kind of person to have an affair and that he wanted to put a stop to it. The rest of the day I was sick to my stomach. Wasn't sure if it was because of the surgery or the rumor I was spreading. God talked to me that day and I knew it was because of the rumor. I prayed for forgiveness from God over the next few months. When I returned to work in Jan., I went to see the teacher and asked for his forgiveness. It took that teacher confronting me to make me aware of how hurtful rumors are. Thank you, God, for teaching me that life lesson.