Thursday, July 21, 2011

How to Be Alone

In seminary, Dr. Gaines told my small group, "Take the meat and spit out the bones." She meant that, sometimes, something will be really helpful or powerful or refining, but there's a part of the thing that isn't. One example might be a book that really changes your life, but it's by a non-Christian. That doesn't make any less capable of being used by the Lord to grow or strengthen us into greater likenesses of His Son. The Lord used a donkey to speak to Balaam, after all.

Seeing as how those word were uttered 7 years ago, they've stuck with me. More than once, they've freed me from additional unnecessary legalism. Should I not like that book because the author's theology differs on secondary doctrinal issues? Should I not like that show because of one of the characters is gay? You get the point.

That said, I can't endorse every single line in this video. Those of you who read my blog will know I disagree with the postmodern vibe found in a couple of lines in the poem. That said, I found this moving and, appropriately, poetic. I loved the line about how our society fears being alone. And what it DOESN'T mean when you are (you actually might NOT have problems or be wasting away in a basement with a lonely heart). Another thought-provoking line was the "avoid being alone principles." I know many people who have those and live their lives by them. But that means that they don't actually ever really live. In short, I really appreciate that this author encouraged us to be okay in our own skin instead of frantically looking for distraction from ourselves. I think that, if we could be okay in who God made us and in what circumstances God placed us, I'd have a LOT fewer clients on my caseload.

So, I hope you can take the meat and spit out the bones, too. :)


Did any line stand out to you?

4 comments:

Mom said...

I like the line "dance like no one is watching". To me it says, you can do anything you want as long as it honors God and be proud of what you are doing, no matter who is watching! Wow...makes me think...

Ruthie said...

I don't know how I missed this. She is so talented and I really liked it! I love how when humans express themselves through art, regardless of whether they are saved or not, the Image of God shines through, I think that was the meat that I will keep!

Melissa said...

I like her ideas for how to keep the lonely at bay. However, I refuse to sit at the bar. Those seats hurt! ;-)

Karen said...

I like the line about walking in the woods. Out in nature is one of the moments when I feel closest to God.