"The others didn't come?"
"No. One chose to indulge, the other to judge, and the third to work. None of them chose our father."
"So they will remain here?"
The eldest brother nodded slowly. "For now."
"And we will return to Father?" asked the brother.
"Yes."
"Will he forgive me?"
"Would he have sent me if he wouldn't?"
And so the younger brother climbed on the back of the Firstborn and began the journey home.
All four brothers heard the same invitation. Each had an oppor tunity to be carried home by the elder brother. The first said no, choosing a grass hut over his father's house. The second said no, preferring to analyze the mistakes of his brother rather than admit his own. The third said no, thinking it wiser to make a good impression than an honest confession. And the fourth said yes, choosing gratitude over guilt.
"I'll indulge myself," resolves one son.
"I'll compare myself," opts another.
"I'll save myself," determines the third.
"I'll entrust myself to you," decides the fourth.
May I ask a vital question? As you read of the brothers, which describes your relationship to God? Have you, like the fourth son, recognized your helplessness to make the journey home alone? Do you take the extended hand of your Father? Are you caught in the grip of his grace?
Or are you like one of the other three sons?
************
I like the end of the story because I think it's very realistic. That fear that knocks at the door of the fourth son's heart that Father might not forgive him is totally relatable.
I really enjoy this parable, and I'd be remiss not to give credit where credit is due. This is the craftsmanship of Max Lucado in his book "In the Grip of Grace", published by Word Publishing.
In light of this Christmas season, be the like the fourth son, won't you? I know I want to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment