Monday, December 15, 2008

A Parable in Parts: Part Three

Apologies for not posting part three yesterday. Seems like no one's reading this, though, so my delay hasn't appeared to offend. I enjoy this post, so I'm going to keep it up. Here's part three. If you haven't read parts one and two yet, please go to December 12 and 13's posts to read those first. 

***************

Firstborn sought the next brother. He didn't have to walk far. On the hillside near the hut, within eyesight of the savages, sat the fault-finding son. When he saw Firstborn approaching, he shouted, "How good that you are here to behold the sin of our brother! Are you aware that he turned his back on the castle? Are you aware that he never speaks of home? I knew you would come. I have kept careful account of his deeds. Punish him! I will applaud your anger. He deserves it! Deal with the sins of our brother."

Firstborn spoke softly, "We need to deal with your sins first." "My sins?"

"Yes, you disobeyed Father."

The son smirked and slapped at the air. "My sins are nothing. There is the sinner," he claimed, pointing to the hut. "Let me tell you of the savages who stay there . . ."

"I'd rather you tell me about yourself."

"Don't worry about me. Let me show you who needs help," he said, running toward the hut. "Come, we'll peek in the windows. He never sees me. Let's go together." The son was at the hut before he noticed that Firstborn hadn't followed him.

******************

So, what do you think? I have to confess that, although I am judgmental, I don't connect with this character as much as the hut-building brother (or the rock-stacking brother that we'll revisit tomorrow). But maybe you do. Thoughts? Share 'em!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Hey, I'm reading!

I can relate to this brother to a point. I am often guilty of ignoring my faults and pointing out those of others. But when confronted with them as he was, I can usually own up. I do struggle with pride and judging others at times, though.