Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A Parable in Parts: Part Four

Let me reiterate my daily instructions since having started posting the parable in parts. The first four parts start on December 13th's post, so please start there.

Also, a BIG apology to Karen who I failed to acknowledge HAS, in fact, been reading my blog of late. She even posted a comment, so she puts all the rest of you to shame! Just kidding - but thanks for the post and feedback about the parable thus far, my good friend!

***************

Next, the eldest son walked to the river. There he found the last brother, knee-deep in the water, stacking rocks.

"Father has sent me to take you home."

The brother never looked up. "I can't talk now. I must work." 

"Father knows you have fallen. But he will forgive you. . ."

"He may," the brother interrupted, struggling to keep his balance against the current, "but I have to get to the castle first. I must build a pathway up the river. First I will show him that I am worthy. Then I will ask for his mercy." 

"He has already given his mercy. I will carry you up the river. You will never be able to build a pathway. The river is too long. The task is too great for your hands. Father sent me to carry you home. I am stronger."

For the first time the rock-stacking brother looked up. "How dare you speak with such irreverence! My father will not simply forgive. I have sinned. I have sinned greatly! He told us to avoid the river, and we disobeyed. I am a great sinner. I need much work."

"No, my brother, you don't need much work. You need much grace. The distance between you and our father's house is too great. You haven't enough strength nor the stones to build the road. That is why our father sent me. He wants me to carry you home."

"Are you saying I can't do it? Are you saying I'm not strong enough? Look at my work. Look at my rocks. Already I can walk five steps!"

"But you have five million to go!"

The younger brother looked at Firstborn with anger. "I know who you are. You are the voice of evil. You are trying to seduce me from my holy work. Get behind me, you serpent!" He hurled at Firstborn the rock he was about to place in the river.

"Heretic!" screamed the path-builder. "Leave this land. You can't stop me! I will build this walkway and stand before my father, and he will have to forgive me. I will win his favor. I will earn his mercy."

Firstborn shook his head. "Favor won is no favor. Mercy earned is no mercy. I implore you, let me carry you up the river."

The response was another rock. So Firstborn turned and left.

********************

This one, the first time I read it, brought tears to my eyes. I think I AM this brother! Sadly enough, so are many of my clients. I share this parable often with those clients that struggle with regularly believing they are failing everyone, not doing enough, unworthy of the praise others give them, etc. One client relayed her response to this parable by highlighting one moment of the conversation between this brother and Firstborn. "I need much work." And Firstborn responded, "You need much grace." How she (and I) long for the freedom to accept that grace, so freely given without a moment's hesitation. This brother just breaks my heart because he can't fathom the fullness of God's love. I'm saddened that he chooses to stack rocks rather than accept Firstborn's offer to take him back to their Father, in part because I've done this myself. 

There's one day left, and I'm excited to share the end of this parable. Keep those comments coming!


1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh boy... I may not throw rocks, but I can relate to feeling like I have a lot of work to do.

Thanks for the shout out. :D