Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Review

Isn't it amazing how quickly the holidays are over? I was up until about 1 AM on Christmas day (or the 26th, I suppose), and there were already commercials about post-holiday sales. Sheesh!

We had a good Christmas! Hannah enjoyed her presents, and in the afternoon we drove down to my Grandma Beck's for a family Christmas gathering. It wasn't the entire Beck side, but there were cousins and aunts and uncles in attendance. It was a lot of fun, and I know my grandma enjoyed hearing all the little ones run around laughing.

Yesterday my sister and I went to Mansfield to buy me a Christmas present (she hadn't gotten all my gifts ahead of time, so I got a gift card to Barnes and Noble). We also saw Valkryie, and it was fantastic!!! I thought I'd just think it was okay, but I thought it was very well acted and had a good pace throughout the movie. I was impressed by the heroism that these men displayed in the midst of Nazi-dominated Germany. Unfortunately, our history books (at least mine) mentioned nothing of the story of Claus von Stauffenberg - they painted all of Germany in WWII as evil. I wish we had gotten to read of stories like this. I didn't expect to feel so emotional by the end of the movie, either. I'd highly recommend this movie. I'm no a fan of Tom Cruise as a person, but his acting in this film was inspiring and perfectly crafted. Even Plugged In (my go-to Christian movie rating site) enjoyed it. It had little profanity, no nudity, no sexual content, no gore, and incredibly little violence. Tonight we're going to see Marley & Me with friends, and I hope to enjoy it. I think it won't be able to hold a candle to Valkryie. 

2 comments:

Karen said...

Sorry I haven't written here sooner. I hope all of Missy's home repairs are done or at least well on their way to being completed. What a nightmare!

Surprising to hear you went to see Valkyrie. Not one I am planning on watching any time soon. Maybe when it's on DVD and I can pick it up for free with one of my Blockbuster.com trades.

Marley & Me looks good, but I read the book, so am afraid I would be in tears, since I blubbered a lot during the book. How did you all like it?

So are you Facebooking yet???

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I love reading your blogs. See you in a week! Love you