Monday, May 2, 2011

Big "Hair"y Deal

For a while now, we've been planning to get Hannah's hair cut short. I think conversations started about 6 months ago, maybe, as Miss presented the idea to Hannah. We told her about the Locks of Love program, which collected a cute anecdote: We told her that she can give her hair to a children who is sick since some ill children don't have hair. The next morning, she came down the stairs with a cough, saying, "Mommy, I have a cough.... my hair...." Miss quickly reassured her that being sick does not always mean one loses one's hair. Thankfully, we saved ourselves there!

Anyway, fast forward several months to when Hannah's hair was long enough to afford the 10-inch cut needed for hair donations to Locks of Love. Hannah wanted her hair cut, but she would sometimes ask if she would "still be pretty" if her hair was cut. That served as a good reminder to continue to praise her character, not just her appearance (which Miss has always been wonderful in doing). We also asked her a few times if she wanted to get it cut, and sometimes she expressed uncertainty. We made it clear that it was her choice, but we realized that maybe asking gave her a hint that this was a big deal. We stopped asking, then, and asked just one last time the morning of the cut (Saturday of Easter weekend).

Hannah really LOVES her haircut and has gotten tons of praise for it. I took a mini photo shoot that morning to make sure we got pics of her long hair. Here are some of those (okay some were just to catch this adorable kid on camera):

I love this pose!





The day of the haircut came, and Hannah was such a trooper! She loved her haircut and kept shaking her head back and forth to feel how short it was. There was a lot of oohs and aahs in the hair salon, and there were some tears on Mommy's and Tia's parts. Some of our tears were relief that she didn't dissolve into tears and was immediately excited, but most of them were due to how wonderful Hannah looked. Here are some shots of that experience:

In the chair, getting ready for the cut.

Hair is pulled back...

going ...

going....

going....

gone!




Holding the hair for donation after the cut is all done and styled.

She was FULL of energy... I think she liked it! ;)

You can see that it's angled - longer on the sides and shorter in the back. Very cute cut, thanks to Samantha at Toppers!

Holding the hair and the donation form while Mommy gets her hair done in the background.

4 comments:

Ruthie said...

soph and i have plans to do this next month! Hannah looks Adorable!!! and good for her for being brave and embracing change!

Jaimi said...

SOOOO cute! I love Hannah and the hair cut too:) It was fun to have her hang out with us on Friday. She got tired at the end and so I hope to get to have her over again soon.

Melissa said...

So I have to admit I got Geary-eyed again reading this. I love her new hair, but the new cut reminds me of how grown up she is getting. My little girl will be in kindergarten soon! Oh and Hannah was amused I was Geary eyed. ;-)

Mom said...

I'm glad I didn't go watch her get her haircut. I know I would have cried. I love the new haircut. She is so beautiful and so grown up! Love you