Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Today my wonderful mom turns 60! I love her so much; she's the best mother a person could ask for. Here are some of the reasons why I love her (hopefully you'll recognize the ones that are tongue-in-cheek, but they still make my mom my mom):

She's generous, kind, supportive, loving, and always there for us.

My mom makes sure to tell us every time we talk that she loves us.

When she dropped me off at college, a whopping 20 minutes away from home, she gave me the first-time college student experience and still cried when she left.

When she comes to visit, she cooks for me and cleans up the house (even if she does leave random cupboards open around the kitchen).

She sends me cards or emails just to tell me she's thinking of me and loves me.

Any time we talk about something we'll be doing in the next week or couple of weeks, she faithfully says, "Yeah, we'll have to talk about that." (I always wonder why we talk about having to talk about that, rather than just talking about it....)

She comes to Disney with us and has become a true Disney lover like her daughters.

She never fought with my dad in front of me.

She can't remember what names she and my dad had picked out if I had been a boy.

She can never stay awake for a movie. After seeing it about 5 times, she'll have finally seen the whole thing.

Wherever she is, whether in church, at the movies, or at a gymnastics recital, when a song is played and isn't supposed to be sung by the people in the audience, she always hums along with the song, even if she doesn't know it.

She's a wonderful grandma.

She's a devoted daughter and sister.

She's a loving daughter-in-law.

She's a faithful wife.

She's a follower of Jesus and a prayer warrior!

She's my mom, and I wouldn't ask for anyone else to fill the position. I love you, Mom - Happy 60th Birthday!!!




5 comments:

Jaimi said...

Happy Birthday Carlene!
I love the way she has such a servant's heart!

Ruthie said...

Happy Birthday Carlene!
That was so sweet Jenny!

Mom said...

Jen, you know how to make me cry....And I did know which times you were teasing me and which ones you truly mean. I love you. Thanks for the nice gift! (this blog)

Barb said...

I cried like a baby....this was so beautifully said. Jen, you are so wonderful to have written that for her. I love my sister bunches & to read your (& Missy's) love for her...makes me so happy.

To have tht kind of love from your children must be more beautiful than anything on this earth. Carlene, Happy Birthday...you don't know how lucky you are...!!!Jenny's Aunt Barb

Karen said...

Loved it, Jenny! What a nice tribute to your mama! All who meet her and know her, Love her!!!