Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Owner of a Lonely Heart

I think I said this last year right around this time (maybe not on my blog, but probably in person):

I'm bored.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE the amount of time off that this job affords me. I love being able to come and go all summer, to sleep in, to get sucked into shows I'd never watched before or was very behind on (this summer's winners are The Office, thanks to Jessica letting me borrow seasons 1-5 on DVD, Medium, thanks to Lifetime late at night, and Deadliest Catch, thanks to Facebook friends posting about Captain Phil's sudden death and the subsequent DC marathons on the Discovery channel), to hang out with Hannah whenever I wanted, and to go on vacation.

That said, I get bored easily, and with little else to do than watch TV, mow the yard (YUCK), read, and sleep in, I'm ready to go back to work. I've had some terrific time with friends, so I'd be remiss to not mention that. Just this weekend, I went bowling with Jessica and her husband Don and the newlyweds Laura and JR! Being an extrovert, however, means I get my energy being with people, so I can never get enough time with other human beings! For those of you who are introverts, you might enjoy spending time with friends or family but feel tired or ready to head home after a few hours. For me, if I spend a few hours with friends or family, I would like to know I have 3 or 4 more ahead of me! I think that explains my marathon dates in high school with my boyfriend; we'd spend about 12 hours together every Saturday and about 10 on Sundays; if it wasn't that much, I felt short-changed! Can anyone guess my love language? :)

Anyway, because I love being with people, it can be hard living by myself. Unless I have someone scheduled to talk to, I might go all day without talking out loud, except to Oliver. That's not much fun, sweet as he is! :)

So I'm ready to head back to work in a little less than two weeks! I'm ready to start helping hurting students find joy as the Lord allows me to speak grace and truth to them. I'm ready to feel that rush that I get when I see someone "get it" for the first time. I'm ready to feel amped up when I see a chance to challenge lies, confront unhealthy behavior in a loving way, or share hope with someone that her life can be indescribably better if she signs on to make some changes. I'm ready to eat lunch with Laura every day, to see Jessica several times a week, to plan support groups, to hear how my beloved coworkers' summers were, and to be on a schedule again! I'm ready to trade in the lonely heart for a busy one, and I'm excited at all the Lord has in store for me. I don't know what the school year will bring, but I know I'll learn and be challenged and need Him and meet girls who frustrate me and girls who inspire me.

So, lonely heart, hang in there... just a few more days!

What does August have in store for you?

4 comments:

Karen said...

Well, in all that time off, you never made it down here! Pout, pout Hope you all can come by in Dec. As far as I know, we'll be here!

My summer ends Sunday. The kids start school Aug. 2 (just a half day the first day). Back-to-school night for the parents is this Thursday. We'll get to meet teachers and stuff and find out all the things I don't know about having my kids in school.

Now, what can I find to do while they're in school (other than housework)?

Jaimi said...

I'm so glad you get the summer for rejuvenating but I understand you being ready to get back at it!

Christina said...

Should I feel sorry for you, LOL. No complaining when your crazy busy! Can't wait to see you.

Ruthie said...

I get it, totally! Time off is so wonderful, but eventually it always gets boring. I'm def. the introvert! Jamie is an extrovert. It's interesting seeing how we have different needs sometimes and how we work that out. We do better now than at the beginning... :) Enjoy your last two weeks and than enjoy getting back into the work routine!