Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Celebrating Grandma Beck

As I mentioned, we recently celebrated my Grandma Beck's 85th birthday.We were celebrating preemptively since her birthday is actually in September. We gathered at my sister's house, had a cook-out, and - of course - sang happy birthday to her. I didn't think to get a shot of her with anyone or even of a large group of people at once! Oh well - I did capture some candid shots from the day.

A bunch of cousins (Christina, the famous sign-maker, is the one in the black) watch as Grandma gingerly opens her gifts. I have one of those grandmas who literally opens packages without tearing the paper because it's "so pretty". Then she folds it up to save it. We all tease her about it... :)

My grandma admires the cake while several family members look on. Funny note: my aunt noticed that my grandma was wearing this exact shirt 5 years ago when we threw her last surprise birthday party (that time all showing up at church one Sunday morning to surprise her, then having a cook-out later). We commended her on buying clothes that stay in style for years and years! :) Isn't my grandma cute?

Macho Man Adam tries to light the candles, but the wind keeps giving him a tough time! Adam is my cousin and, if you're a friend on Facebook, you might remember him as the one always giving me a hard time when I fly on an airline other than Southwest. He works in their baggage department at the Cleveland Airport, but I tell him all the time he should be the VP of Marketing instead! He was also my cornhole partner at the party and greatly contributed to us beating my Uncle Scott and cousin Jonny (I told him it was all him, but he graciously let me share in the spoils of victory).

You already knew Christina was talented and generous, but here's two more pictures as proof just in case you forgot. A while ago, Christina asked me for ideas for a sign for Mom since she appreciated Mom always posting nice comments on her blog (once again, a link can be found in the column on the right side of this page). Anyway, I suggested the chorus from "In the Garden", my mom's favorite hymn.

The sign reads:
And He walks with me
And He talks with me
And He tells me I am his own

I just love how the sign emphasizes this part of the song and the personal, intimate relationship we can have with Christ - the relationship Christ wants with us.

Sneaky Christina emailed Mom and asked for ideas for a sign for Miss, too (I think because Miss hosted the party). Here's her sign:

It was a great day spent with family; it's been years since we'd all been together. We're hopeful we can make this a summer tradition (but my Aunt Rosemary says Grandma has to wear a different shirt to her 90th birthday party....

3 comments:

Christina said...

It WAS a great day! We must plan another for next year!

Jaimi said...

What a good family event and those signs are beautiful!

Mom said...

I guess I should check your blog more often. Wondered when I was going to see pics of Grandma's party. Thanks for posting them. Love you BIG GIANT much.