That said, I'm feeling nervous about tomorrow. I know you'll all still love me, but I won't be voting for Mr. Obama. I want to believe that he has the best interests of the country at heart, but I have a hard time seeing him apart from what I esteem to be upreaching ambition. He has come through the ranks so quickly bothers me. Perhaps, in another 10-20 years, his experience would calm my worries that he's running for president purely out of ambition. Well, that's not fair. I'm sure it isn't purely about ambition. I believe he genuinely believes he has the best ideas to help his country. And it's neat that he comes from a non-traditional family (a single mom and then raised by his grandparents after her untimely death). In that respect, he gets where a lot of this country is in terms of the family unit - including, let it be mentioned, my own niece (but let's pray against the untimely death part, shall we? :)).
What I can never support is his stance on moral issues - abortion and homosexual marriage. My beliefs on these issues are based in Scripture. I know some use Scripture to suggest that these are permitted, but I disagree with these positions wholeheartedly. I also disagree on other issues that are politically-based, such as healthcare, taxes, and the plans to revive the economy, but these to me are far, FAR less important than the two moral issues I listed above.
And you know, it doesn't even bother me that he has ties to Islam. Frankly, I don't know that ANY president has really been a man of any faith. We've had Catholics and Protestants, most of which have not lived Biblical lives. The only reason his faith would bother me, if he is truly Muslim as some have suggested he may be (though there's reasonable evidence to suggest otherwise), is if he truly has ties to radical Islam. And that's where I've gotten nervous. I've found people who have a problem with Obama based on his middle name to be a bit foolish. It's a middle name, people. As a comedian put it, his parents really put him at a disadvantage for getting elected president in a post-9/11 USA! In seriousness, someone's middle name could be Adolph, but if he's a good guy and has supportable stances on the issues that I care about, he's got my vote. His middle name doesn't indicate that he's unsafe. If others disagree, I understand, but it seems to me to be a bit silly to make this a sticking point.
I'm just concerned and have found myself crying out to God during my private prayer time to show us unmerited mercy as a nation with the results of the election. We don't deserve His grace, and I definitely count myself as one who does not live a righteous life as I should. However, many in this country work hard, worship faithfully, and live generously. They are faithful in praying for their leaders, no matter which party they or their leaders belong to. I admit I don't pray as I should. However, I desire that God would give us another period of protection against further collapse of our moral integrity as a nation. If that happens with Obama, fine; because of his stances, I don't think it will, but I'm finite with incomplete knowledge so I believe anything's possible.
All that said, I just pray God gives us more undeserved grace in allowing a leader to be elected to guide us into a time that won't lead to further breakdown in our society. But I need to remember that God is sovereign. He of course knows today who will be our president-elect tomorrow. He knew that long, long ago, before any of us were here. And God's goal is not to keep us here, content and blind to our sin. God's goal is to bring glory to Himself and help us - His creation - awaken to our need for a Savior.
Stay tuned. It should be an interesting night. Please - vote and pray. And whoever is elected - pray.
2 comments:
Amen Sista!
I did vote! Unforunately my candidate did not win. I do find myself worried about the future, but I do realize our future is in God's hands and that makes me feel a lot better. Love you.
Post a Comment