Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Goodbye, Mr. President

Today was a momentous occasion for our nation. And I have to admit that I cried. But it wasn't because of this moment.



It was because of this one. 
 

I was more invested in this election than I've ever been, which makes sense given that this was the day the first president I ever voted for left office and left behind a legacy that many of tarnished. I went back to my office after lunch, after the Inauguration was over, and went to my favorite news channel to watch a video clip. I found a 7 minute video of former President Bush leaving office. I cried watching it. 

I won't spend my time sharing thoughts about President Obama; I already did that here. I think it's wonderful (honestly) that our nation has elected a minority into the Presidency. Despite rolling my eyes more than a few times at the hullabaloo being made over him and the superhuman status he's been given (which is not his fault, but of course as a politician he's not going to discourage it), I sincerely, wholeheartedly want him to succeed. I want him and his family to be safe. I want his children spared from unnecessary scrutiny from the press and from death threats from groups that have a problem with his skin color. I hope he leads us well. The man sure can speak (although he doesn't always say much, but I said I wasn't going to talk like that, so let me move on... ;)). 

Despite all of his promises and, hopefully, his future success, I don't think he will ever garner the affection I have for former President Bush. Bush was no angel. Let me say it again in case you think I'm a blind conservative evangelical wacko who loves ya or hates ya based on wearing a flag pin on your lapel and quoting Scripture every now and again. Bush was no angel. He made mistakes, and I didn't always agree with him. Sometimes I was downright mad at him. 

However, I have great respect for a man who led us in hard times. And the thing that really gets to me is the fact that the moment where he stood on the mound of ashes where the Twin Towers had been and spoke to that crowd of traumatized, numbed rescue workers has been all but lost. Not every law or politician I vote for or against is about 9/11, but I do remember how much we all leaned on President Bush in the following days. We are a fickle nation, and many Americans - millions - have decided to spit on the memory of a man who, like him or not, united us on a day unlike any other that our country had ever faced. The closest I can think of is December 7, 1941, with the bombing of Pearl Harbor and FDR's announcement about it being "a day of infamy." The difference, that I see, is that we didn't watch it as it happened. On September 11th, I sat in my bed and watched people jump from a building to escape the heat and fire and trapped exits inside. I've heard it said that we always remember where we were the moment that a major national crisis touches us. My mom remembers when JFK was shot, and my sister remembers when the Challenger exploded. My national moment is September 11th, as I'm sure it is for many of you.

When Mr. Obama took the oath of office today, it was that moment that has been touted as unifying a broken nation.

As President Bush boarded the helicopter that would take him away to Texas, he turned back at the top of the steps and waved. President Obama and Vice President Biden stood with their wives and waved back. THAT was the beautiful, unifying moment in my opinion. A commentator on the channel I was watching commented on the fact that the Obamas and Bushes embraced. He said that handshakes are typically the farewell gesture that Presidents and their successors exchange on Inauguration Day, but hugs are rare. This was proof, according to him, of the warm relationship that the Obamas and Bushes developed since the election. He said of the Bushes: 

This says a lot about the Bushes. These people, whatever you think about the policies that they have put in place or the steps they have taken, are gracious, and honorable, and decent people. And all who come into their realm, whether it's a reporter coming to do an interview or a guest at the White House or indeed an incoming president working for a transition, come in contact with the fact that this is way the Bushes are. This is the way they're bred. And I'm sure the Obamas - I think the evidence is clear now, we see it there today - the Obamas have come to appreciate this. You heard the new President reflect on this in his speech on gratitude for the smoothness of the transition, and then we see that remarkable moment today which has got to be moving and reassuring to Americans everywhere who see not only how peaceful but positive this transition is.

That's the kind of reporting I was looking for today. That's why I keep watching the video over and over because it embodied the hope, unity, and change we're being told Obama's presidency will represent. No snarky comments, no questioning of Bush's character, etc. I think it's also because President Bush was sort of my political dad. Now it's like I've moved out, and while he's still my dad, we won't stay in as close touch, and I'll have to look to other people to solve the problems of the day. 

I know that millions of black men and women - not just African-Americans, but black men and women around the world - will remember this moment the way I remember September 11th. I celebrate that for them. What makes my heart heavy is what I fear may be a bleak road ahead. My fellow Americans are celebrating change and anticipating with great enthusiasm the days ahead. But are we exchanging a gold crown for a tin cup as we compromise more and more the values that honor God? Notice I didn't say Republican values. I don't care which party you claim as long as you claim Christ, but I feel sad that our nation has grown so post-modern and concerned with including everyone that none of us can ever be wrong anymore. 

My mom said tonight that Mr. Obama is our president and deserves our respect. Amen to that. But let me also say this: Goodbye and good luck, President Bush. Thank you for protecting us, and thank you for being the man you are. May your successor look out for us "kids" the way you did, thinking not of personal gain but of greatest good. May we accept that though his ways of doing that may not always be what we like, but may he behave in a trustworthy manner so that we can trust him. May we be open to seeing that his efforts are for our greatest good even when they look differently than how you did things. May we pray for him, and may he pray for himself. Let us be listeners of one another, he of us and us of him.  

2 comments:

Karen said...

How perfectly and eloquently put! Your eyes weren't the only ones shedding tears at the Bush's departure.

Anonymous said...

You are such an awesome writer. I'm sure you got that from me.....It was very sad to see Pres. Bush leave, but he left with his head held high! I am so proud of him.