Sunday, September 27, 2009

Fair and Family Fun

I headed home this weekend to enjoy some family time, see my mom, and take in our local county fair. I also got a much-needed haircut, which was nice. I'm trying to watch every penny while I'm waiting on the house to close and start forking over money each month to pay Huntington for my shiny new home, so that was a nice time of pampering myself.

My mom is doing well. For those who didn't know, she had surgery on Wednesday to remove a bone spur from the back of her right heel. The Achilles tendon is wrapped around it, so the tendon had to be cut, the spur shaved off, then the tendon reattached. She's in a cast for a month and will be off work until January. It's not too fun for her to be home-bound or to give herself her daily shots of blood-thinner while her foot is in the cast, but she's doing well so far. Miss made some wonderful meals for us today (and I got to bring some home), so it was a good day of spending time with family and enjoying home-cooked food!

We weren't sure that we were going to be able to visit the fair since it was overcast and drizzling, but we got to see the animals, which was a must-do for Hannah. She even got to pet the Grand Champion calf, so that was exciting. She loved the horses and the bunnies and the goats.... who am I kidding? She loved them all! We ate lots of delicious but horribly unhealthy fair food, and we even ran into my cousin, her boyfriend, and her daughter while we were there.

Hannah also got to take a ride on the carrousel, which was the longest ride I think anyone has ever had on such a ride. We joked that she and Miss rode for about 12 minutes! In reality, it was probably just 3 or 4, but still! That's pretty good. It was Hannah and Miss and then another little girl, so the operator was kind to allow them a long ride. At one point, Hannah yelled at to me, "I just love you, Tia!" Okay, so that made the whole weekend!

Here are some funny other Hannah-isms from the weekend:

(After turning on Disney music in the car, sweetly called out from the backseat): "Thank you for making me happy!"

(When said Disney music got too low for one little girl's ears to hear): "I just can't hear."

(Said when walking by the cows): "Wow, those are hoooj."

(Said when walking by the pygmy goats): "Awww, those are so coot!"

(When playing math, apparently, after lunch today and furiously scribbling her data onto a piece of paper): "I don't have any corners [quarters]. I have monies. That'll be $24.19, right?
Okay. Well, you pay your corners, and I'll pay my monies. Right?" [I mean, really, who can argue with that logic?]

(While offering high-quality healthcare to the patient, my mom, this afternoon): "This is gonna hurt, just a little. Okay? [Then does it no matter what the response was, and the "it" was pushing a pencil rather firmly into a toe...]

Here are some pictures of Hannah enjoying the carrousel:

No comments: