Sunday, August 10, 2008

Su-prise, su-prise, su-prise!

This weekend, my cousin Karen was going to come over for a visit on Friday night. Given that this was my first weekend alone since the move, I was really looking forward to the company. She was only going to visit on Friday night, but I was really happy to have someone familiar come to my new stomping grounds.

So you can imagine my surprise (ala Gomer Pyle in this entry's title) when, as I approached the turn onto my road in the apartment complex, I saw my mom and Hannah walking down the sidewalk!!!!! I pulled into the nearest parking spot and Mom and Hannah walked over, Mom beaming and Hannah smiling ear to ear. That, of course, was both a sight for sore eyes and a priceless gift! What a great surprise! Mom said she had had Karen call to suggest she come over as a cover for Mom coming to visit. We went to TGI Fridays (thank you, Cedarville, for the gift certificate as a new staff member! :)) and then came back home to relax. Yesterday, we drove what seemed to be all over creation, getting Walmart supplies (thank you, Heritage Baptist Church members, for your generous gift card that purchased 10-12 bags and 2 pieces of furniture's worth of items), visiting my office at the school, traveling to Michael's to get frames for my diplomas and certifications, and then to Kroger for some groceries. It was a long day, but very productive.

Side note: While at Michael's, we ran into some staff from Cedarville. They recognized me, and I introduced Mom and Hannah. Mom said they were really nice, and I said, "Everyone at Cedarville is like that." What a great testimony to the school that I can say that genuinely!

Today,  Mom and Hannah left about 9:30 and got home about 2 hours and 15 minutes later. Thank you Lord, for their safe travel to and from my apartment. I ended up not going to church. Honestly, I'm not sure when my first Sunday will be. Next weekend, my friend Susan is coming to visit, and I don't know if I'll attend with her here (she's not a church-goer). She likes her personal time, so I might go anyways and give her some one-on-one time in the apartment for a while. Then the following weekend, Miss and Hannah are coming down. Since I'm not sure what time they'll leave, I may not get to go then, either. And, of course, the next weekend, I get to visit this fabulous place over Labor Day weekend called HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may not be until September till I get to visit a church. I hope not; time will tell. 

Another side note: Cedarville is home to the Senator who established Labor Day. 

After they left, I listened to a portion of a couple of podcasts for a church I hope to visit soon, Kemp Road Baptist Church. After that, I watched a bit of classic TV (and old Doris Day flick called "My Dream is Yours" and then bit the bullet and headed to Easton to visit the Apple store there. For those of you familiar (especially Julie and Jaimi, who love this place given that it's an outdoor, upscale shopping plaza), I spent more time looking for parking and dodging pedestrians than I did in the Apple Store itself! But I walked away with a couple of good grabs: Civilization III for the Mac (a great strategy computer game) and, thanks to that marvel of technology, an AirPort Express. I am writing to you now from the comfortable, back-supporting couch in my living room, rather than slouching uncomfortably on the edge of my bed. Thank you Lord, for technology! 

That's about it for now. I need to "do bills" either tonight or tomorrow night. Given that I haven't really just rested this weekend (Mom and Hannah can relate), I will probably postpone that most unpleasant activity until tomorrow night. 

TTFN!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hoping you would talk about our week-end. It was so much fun to surprise you. Hannah only had one or two melt downs... She was real excited to see you and of course I was too!

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! That is the best surprise! Glad to hear you had a great weekend! I'm excited about next weekend also. Can't wait to see the new place.

Ruthie said...

So glad you had such a fun surprise! Those are the best. Glad you were able to get so much from the gift card to Walmart too! We missed you at church on Sunday and pray you continue to settle in.

Dan, Julie, Mya and Sara said...

Sounds like a very fun weekend! We can't wait for you to come home soon. We miss you very much! Jaimi and I were just talking today about how we miss you. We think about you often.