Monday, August 4, 2008

Time to process

Well, my first day at work was really, really great. I know it makes my family glad to hear that because last night I had a pretty major break down about being this far from home. It was good to process that with them as I've been trying to hide the feelings of sadness I have about this move from them, but I just couldn't hold it in and as they prepared to leave, I knew I had to get it out. The reason they were here again last night, in addition to being here Saturday to help me move, is because, unbeknownst to us, one of my sister's cats stowed away in my bed's box springs. We knew that she sleeps in there (the fabric material on the bottom of the springs is ripped, and Callie climbs up in there when she's scared or just to sleep), but we didn't realize she'd been in there when we loaded the stuff in the moving truck. So she spent Friday night in the box springs in the truck, as well as Saturday until about noon, and then Saturday night here alone in the apartment until Sunday night about 8 PM. WOW! Wonder kitty, I guess. She was fine. Mom and Hannah drove down with me in my car and Miss followed in her van. They helped me unpack a few things, and they left about 9:30 for home. Long drive but they made it safely, thank the Lord. 

Today was a good day. My coworkers and boss were very good at introducing me to people, who all seemed friendly and genuinely happy. They prayed for me for my transition without me asking them to, which was nice. The whole "we start our meetings by praying for each other and the clients" was a wonderful breath of fresh air. I learned about some job perks - get to eat for free in the dining hall, get 20% off bookstore items (and they had some nice house decor things there, too), I can get a book I want to use with a client from the bookstore and charge it to the department without asking for permission - nice! The other female counselor I was supposed to meet also recently resigned so she can spend time at home with her child, so they have hired another new girl who will be starting next week. Nice that I won't be the only newbie, and since two offices are now vacant, I will be sure to get one with a window (the one I was going to take has no window, but Jeffrey, the senior counselor under John, the director, gets his choice of offices now and will let us know tomorrow if he's moving to Lori's old office with two windows or staying put in his - which still has one). Also found out that there's a service award banquet and ceremony tomorrow night. I would have been invited if I'd been at Cedarville when the invites went out. He said it'd be good to come so I can meet people and see how Cedarville does with retaining staff (apparently pretty well). It's a dressy affair, so I guess I'll be getting gussied up tomorrow night! He's allowing me to leave at 2:30 tomorrow so I can come home after the meetings, get ready, and be back around 6:15 for the events. Today he allowed me to leave at 3, which was also nice - especially since he took the staff out to lunch at Olive Garden and paid for us! The OG was near my apartment, about 10 minutes away, so it gave me a good idea of where things are in relation to where I am (i.e. the mall :)). It was also nice to have time to get to know John, Jeffrey, and Helen (the department secretary). I'm excited to know these people. 

It's still rough being here at night. Tonight I talked on Skype with Miss and Hannah, and it was good to see their faces but also sad knowing our nightly routine of getting bedtime kisses has to change. I'm really REALLY looking forward to three weeks from now when my family comes to visit and then the next weekend I go home for Labor Day. 

If you're reading, please post comments. It helps to know people are reading - helps fight the lonelies. :) 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sending the pictures of your apartment. It helps to picture where you are living when I talk to you. Your apartment reminds me so much of my apartment when I was in graduate school. I completely sympathize with you on the loneliness. I remember struggling with that too. I'm so glad you have fun ways to communicate with Missy and Hannah. I'll try to take pictures of Hannah every once in a while when I have her during the day and send them to you. Congratulations on spending your first night in your new apartment!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you that you made it through your first night, Jen! I know how hard that was for you. Home sickness will come and go for a while. Still happens to me from time to time and it's been almost 21 years since I moved away. But I think you will do just fine! Congrats on all the new in your life!

Karen said...

It sounds like you really have found a great place to work. I know at least one kid who goes to Cedarville. She is a real sweetie who is very into dogs (collies in particular... has done obedience trials and stuff with them).

I know where your apt. is.... we used to drive down the main cross street on our way to Xenia. It is very convenient to the mall!! You'll have to go to Longhorn Steakhouse for me some time, too.... we don't have those out here and didn't have them in Omaha, either. They had great steak; and the chicken tenders were to die for, even.

Don't forget about that Monday night Bible study! You will find some wonderful people there and they'll help you shake/prevent those blues, too.

Anonymous said...

It was funny today! Lisa asked me if I got the pics of your apartment and I said "No, I can't beleive she didn't send them to me." And then I went searching and low and behold there they were in my SPAM folder!!! Love the apartment! Can't wait to see you next weekend! Glad things are going well at the job!

Ruthie said...

Sophia and I enjoyed looking at your new apt. Sophia especially liked it when Oliver made it into a shot! Your job and co workers sound really great. Praying for you, especially at night when it gets quiet and lonely.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the pics of Missy, Hannah, Oliver & Daisy. Can't wait to get down and have you show me around. I am so glad I remember to read your blogs, although Dad "scolded" me for not telling him about it. He wants to read them too. Love you, Mom